Review: Beholder DS1 Handheld DSLR Stabilizer – Worth It?
The Beholder DS1 DSLR Gimbal is designed to hold the heavier cameras as it is capable of holding up to 2kg / 3.8 pounds.
It supports cameras like: Nikon D810 or D800, Canon 5D or 7D, DMC series, NEX series, Canon 5D or 7D, GH4 or GH7 and the Sony A7 series.
About the Gimbal
The Gimbal has a quick to release baseplate that makes it extremely easy to switch cameras and the baseplate and be moved and adjusted without using any extra tools for precise balance.
This is an extremely useful function to have when changing the camera lenses.
The Beholder DS1 Gimbal is equipped with an easy to use Pan and Tilt control stick.
The Pan and Tilt joystick on the handle of the Gimbal put the control of the movements literally at your fingertips.
The shooting angles range between 45 degrees (Roll) and 90 degree (Tilt).
Real life use
There are four different modes on the device, these are, follow mode, where the camera follows your hand movements.
- Lock mode, where the camera is locked into place and stays fixed despite your movements.
- Inverted Mode, this setting allows you to turn the camera upside down, it is essentially an inverted follow mode.
- Briefcase mode. This mode allows you to hold the Gimbal close to your body, ideal for low camera shots, giving you the option roll the axis 90 degrees from left to right.
There is also a built-in USB port on the handle of the Gimbal. It can be used to charge a Smartphone or GoPro Camera.
It is also useful if you camera has a WIFI live mode so you can send a signal to your Smartphone device.
- Quick release base plate for allowing you to remove your camera extremely quickly.
- Joystick on the handle for greater control movements of the Gimbal.
- Beautifully designed and compact.
- 360 degree product views.
- 4 modes for the ultimate shots.
- The ability to customise the Gimbal with various accessories.
- Super smooth, glide motion effects.
- Extremely light and easy to carry.
- The gimbal can be difficult to switch modes while in operation.
- A little more expensive that other Gimbals on the market.
- Doesn’t have a huge battery life compared to some other DS brands.
- Doesn’t come with a protective carrying case.
This 4 mode Gimbal is simply one of the best on the market for the price it is being sold for.
It was extremely difficult for us to find any negatives, and that is very rare amongst Gimbals.
The footage is exactly how you would like it, gliding motionless footage.
If you are serious about filming and you don’t want to splashout thousands, then the Beholder DS1 Handheld Stabilizer 3-Axis Brushless Gimbal could be exactly what you are looking for!
Have a look at real life results, using the DS1 and a 5D Mark 3