Review: Polaroid Handheld 3-Axis GoPro Gimbal (PROS & CONS)
Initially we reviewed the Polaroid Handheld 3-Axis Electronic Gimbal for shooting a video handheld with a DSLR, and it worked fantastic.
Real life use
We used the Polaroid Gimbal to shoot videos from a Quad bike, the stabilization worked well.
The build is really solid for the price.
The quick release adapter isn’t bad but it is much heavier than necessary.
The Gimbal uses a 3 axis system that lets the controller benefit from a 300 degree pan and tilt and a 90 degree roll.
The model works great with all GoPro cameras as will most Gimbals.
There are 3 function buttons on the handle for easy access and control.
In the latest version, there is no built-in charging port on the gimbal itself.
Instead, they provide an external battery charger, and you will have to remove the batteries every single time to recharge the device.
The battery lasted us around 90 minutes of continues filming. Other Gimbals last almost double that time, but as always, you get what you pay for!
The charging takes only a few hours, so the battery life of 90 mins isn’t too bad.
We would advise this Polaroid Gopro Gimbal for novices just learning the ropes or maybe a child looking to start out taking professional looking videos, as it is extremely lightweight and takes only a few minutes to set up.
- Lightweight Electronic 3-Axis Gimbal that Stabilizes GoPro in Real Time.
- Really Smooth Panning & Tilting Motions to Eliminate Unwanted Vibrations.
- Supports all GoPro Hero Cameras with or without an LCD BacPac.
- Included Mounting Ring and Screw that ensures a really quick Installation.
- Weighs Just 12 Ounces, making it an extremely lightweight Gimbal.
- Not expensive.
- Takes about 5 minutes to set up.
- Robust and won’t be broken easily.
- The rods are very short.
- The quick release adapter is quite heavy than it needs to be.
- Won’t work as needed if you are running or driving on bumpy terrain.
- Struggles to hold heavier cameras.
- Battery only lasts 90 mins.
Overall, for those that don’t want to splash out hundreds of dollars for a Gimbal this is a very effective, very usable and friendly Gimbal that is well worth the price.
We highly recommend the Polaroid Handheld 3-Axis Electronic Gimbal is you are a beginner or need something lightweight to shoot images or videos while you are walking or standing still.
Admittedly, if you are shooting pro level footage, then you are going to need a Gimbal with many more features and battery life, but the Gimbal doesn’t pretend to be something it’s not.
As basic 3 Axis Gimbals go, then the Polaroid would be a great starting point.