Review: Feiyu G3 Ultra GoPro Stabilizer – Worth Your Money?
In this review we are looking at the Feiyu G3 Ultra Handheld Gimbal for Gopro cameras.
We remember when ‘steadycams’ were for professionals only, a time when a gyro stabilizer could set you back over 5000 dollars and the balanced steadicam mounts and fittings another 3000 dollars.
Now are the times we have acceleration sensors, microprocessors, and rare brushless motors and you get the same functionality for a few hundred dollars.
With the Feiyu G3 Ultra handheld stabilizer, there will be no more making your viewers seasick, even with the most bumpy ride.
3 Axis stabilization will make sure that the video produced with your gopro camera is silky smooth and very professional.
Real life use
There are 3 different modes (Fixed Axes and Pan/Tilt Following Modes) on this Gimbal and all can be implemented via 3 easy to reach control buttons on the handle.
Each setting needs a little bit of getting used too, as you will need to click certain buttons a number of times to reach the mode you require.
There is a 300 degree pan and tilt with a 90 degree roll rotation.
One slight negative is that the firmware updates cannot be uploaded on a Mac device, so you might need to fish out your old Windows device or borrow a windows laptop from a friend to update the device.
- Quick, out of the box setup.
- Battery life has lasts quite a while. After 4 hours of almost non-stop filming the Gimbal was still going strong.
- Compact. You could take the Gimbal in a backpack without worrying it will be broken in transit.
- Lightweight and extremely easy to use.
- 3 modes that are easy to operate from the buttons on the handle.
- Fast charging of the batteries (takes a few hours to be fully charged).
- Looks very modern and slick.
- The Price as it is a little more expensive that some of the other brands.
- Firmware updates are Windows only.
- It can take a bit of practice to get all the shots you want, and to switch between the different modes.
- It doesn’t have a carrying bag, as some other models do.
- A fifteen second boot-up time make it hard to quickly capture action.
- The software updates can be complicated.
- Isn’t waterproof.
We found the Feiyu G3 Ultra 3-Axis to be a wonderful, portable, handheld Gimbal.
It might cost a little more than some of its competitors but that is because it’s a little bit better!
Our videos were really really smooth and we couldn’t see any blemishes at all. The firmware could be your only obstacle, but there are many YouTube videos to help you out if you run into any issues.
We would say that it is worth paying a little bit extra for the stabilization this Gopro Gimbal produces.
Judge the results by yourself, have a look at this footage, shot using a G3 Ultra hand held, and a gopro hero 4: