Tarot T-2D Brushless Gimbal Review – Worth Your Money?
In this review, we are looking at the Tarot T-2D Drone Gimbal.
This Drone camera stabilizer is operated by Brushless Motors to give you the best motionless images, no matter what conditions you decide to fly your drone in.
The Tarot T-2D will ensure your videos are as smooth as silk.
This Gimbal uses 2-Axis Gyroscope technologies, picking up even the slightest drone movements to give you seamless motion footage.
An innovation, theTarot T-2D Brushless Gimbal offers pitch (tilt) “angel control“, giving you the option to plug it into your RC transmitter and let someone else can take control of the camera angles, giving you an extra dimension for filming the perfect shots.
Real life use review
The Tarot T-2D Gimbal is fully-programmable and is equipped with a USB port socket for easy and fast firmware upgrades.
It also has two additional motors to compensate for pitch and roll motions of any device the gimbal might be attached to.
The range of motion on the T-2D gimbal is quite large, covering a large amount of distance from all angles, so much so, that it can point the camera straight down vertical, without any issues at all.
The mounting plate area for the T-2D Gimbal is a two-piece frame that is separated by rubber buffers.
Different from a lot of other gimbals, the Tarot deploys an arm that by-passes the lower frame section plate and then mounts directly to the upper frame area.
This is designed for two things:
- It decreases the chances of the whole unit breaking free from the drone during a crash or hard landing
- The Gimbal is pushing on the rubber buffers, compressing them, rather than tugging them apart as normal mounting Gimbals.
Tarot believes that this method will offer superior stabilization and better quality, steady image and video captures.
We have to agree that it is well built, and seem to be a better mounting system.
The T-2D Gimbal is connected safely in between both frames and comes with a soldered power lead so there is no doubts regarding the resistance of the board when powering it up.
- Support GOPRO Hero3 video auxiliary output
- Supply voltage polarity protection and voltage compensation
- Motor drive end short-circuit protection
- Custom initial pitch angle
- Sensitivity parameter adjustment and software 3D pose show thru PC Connection
- Adjustable rocker rate mode and position mode
- Supported receiver type : conventional receiver, S-BUS receiver, DSM2/DSMJ/DSMX receiver
- Support for remote devices : PPM/PCM/2.4G
- Working voltage : DC 7.4V ~ 14.8V (Recommended 12V, three lithium battery)
- Current : 200mA-500mA (power supply voltage and the motor related)
- Working environment temperature: -15 ℃ ~ 65 ℃
- Processor: Dual 32-bit high-speed ARM core processor
- Sensor : Three axis MEMS gyroscope and MEMS accelerometers
- Maximum angular rate : 2000 ° / sec
- Maximum acceleration : 16G
- Control frequency: 2000Hz
- Motor drive frequency: 20KHz (no noise smoothing driven)
- Control accuracy : 0.1 ° (Pixel Grade)
- Control angle range : -45 ° ~ 45 ° (roll), -135 ° ~ 90 ° (tilt)
- Pose solver algorithms : PTZ dedicated brushless motor decoupled EKF algorithm
- Shooting equipment : GOPRO Hero 3
- Weight without camera : 200g
Nowadays, a lot of Drone owners are using GoPro cameras (or similar action cameras) and are looking to steady their camera footage, especially if they are shooting moving scenes or sports.
The Tarot T-2D Gimbal brings good stability and innovative drone mounting to the POV camera imagery.
Whichever environment you might want to film with your drone, the Tarot Gimbal is sure to bring your videos to the next level.
While it is a good piece of equipment, you can also find 3 Axis Gimbals in the same price range.
Depending on the type of videos you want to shoot, it may be more suitable to look at different products.
Unless you are looking into the T-2D for specific drones such as IRIS+ (pre-calibrated and assembled for this drone), Y6, Y8+…
Got this for my Hero3 and drone as I am a keen flyer. Thought I would drop by to say how good my footage has become in 3 weeks of owning this gimbal. I am amazed how “motionless” the videos are. The Tarot was a lot less that other brands and some of my friends have stated that the quality of my images are better than theirs when they paid well over a thousand bucks for their gimbals.
Over the Moon, and even converted one of my friends to the Tarot stabilizer.
Don´t bother. This gimbal is rubbish. Dead after a few flights, the software is buggy. No support from Tarot